Sunday, November 22, 2009

a list of things that i have been obsessed with in my life

I have one of the most obsessive personalities of anyone I have ever met. I don't like things, I LOVE them in a ridiculous, overwhelming, all consuming sort of way. Like, I can't just watch a TV show, I have to know every detail about it, rewatch episodes ad naseum, and quote it in daily conversation. I can't just really like ballet flats, I have to be addicted to the point of owning over 30 pairs and regularly getting into heated debates about their merits as opposed to high heels. I can perform all of Rent by myself, practically down to the choreography. I still reread the Princess Diaries books several times a year, and identify with Mia Thermopolis more than any of the many, many, other fictional characters that I have encountered and adored over the years. Those are just a few of endless examples. It's bad. And that's how it's been all of my life. I got from 0-60 in five minutes, it's obnxious.

Here is a list of things that I have been obsessed with in my seventeen years and almost eleven months of life:
  • Friends (the show) My mom and I started watching it when I was five. I'm probably one of very few elementary schoolers whose biggest idol was Rachel Green.
  • Beauty and the Beast. I AM Belle. Don't argue the point with me.
  • cats. In an example of why I am obviously destined to be a crazy old spinster, I have been in love with cats for as long as I can remember. Due to my contsant requests for one as a little girl, my parents reluctantly agreed to get me one for my tenth birthday. I don't think they realized that that day would ever actually come. But it did. And I got my cat. His name is Stuart and he is a diva with a weight problem. I adore him.
  • Titanic. Again, Mom introduced me to this one at an early age. We saw it in theaters on my sixth birthday (the beginning of our movies and chinese food birthday tradition!) and I became completely consumed. I have easily watched this movie over 1000 times since, which, considering it's immense length means I have wasted a scary amount of my life watching a giant boat sink. This also marks the start of my Kate Winslet obsession. (I'll get to that later on)
  • Les Miserables. The first Broadway show I ever saw. This day literally changed my life. (also, it turns out that I unknowingly saw baby Nick Jonas performing as Gavroche that day)
  • Broadway. There is really nothing more to say <3
  • 7th Heaven. My consuming devotion to this show from about age 9-14 is slightly mortifying.
  • HARRY POTTER. the be all and end all of my obsessions. I can't even begin to explain. Harry is probably the most important thing thas has ever come into my life. That is not even a slightly hyperbolic statement. If you aren't a true HP fan you will never be able to understand what this series means. I'm a different person today because of the impact Jo's books have had on me. I love them. I love her. I... I don't even know what to say. LOVE, pure, unadulterated L O V E
  • RENT. Was I the only 10 year old who knew all the lyrics to La Vie Boheme? Oh. Okay...
  • Abraham Lincoln. around 4th and 5th grade. I'm a big history nerd
  • Jane Austen. I read Pride and Prejudice around age 8 and fell in love. I raced my way through the rest of her novels in record time, and have reread them all several times. They will always hold a special place in my heart. Jane is the loveliest writer. I'm a much better writer today for having read her work.
  • The O.C. This was middle school. It was also pure insanity.
  • John Mayer. His music has been the soundtrack to my adolescence. The biggest celebrity crush I will ever have. Ever. I would literally sell my first born to meet this man. Judge me, whatever.
  • The Real World. I've been watching this show fairly loyally since waaaay before I should have been allowed to watch MTV. I can name all of the seasons in order. Yeah...
  • converse high tops. The only shoes I wore in middle school.
  • The Princess Diaries Series. Thank you, Meg Cabot. That is all.
  • The Babysitters Club. Oh. My. God. I wanted to be friends with them soooo soooo soo bad. ( still do)
  • Idina Menzel. Probably my favorite human being in the world.
  • The Spice Girls. I always loved Posh, even though all she did was pout, complain, and wear little Gucci dresses. What does this say about me?
  • American Girl Dolls. My overactive imagination and American history obsession combined beautifully to make me the ideal American Girl fan. I got Molly for Christmas when I was five and was immediately entranced. I read all of her books in a month. My 40s are still my favorite decade. Coincidence? I think not.
  • World War II. I don't know.
  • Cherry Slush Puppies. I haven't had one in literally years, but I used to have to have one every single time I went to the mall.
  • Nick at Nite. Happy Days, The Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver, Laverne and Shirley, I Love Lucy... I happily spent my nights in the slightly silly and totally wonderful glow of classic TV.
  • Lindsay Lohan. I really, really, really, really loved her. Still do, actually. I'm pulling for the comeback. It's happening, guys.
  • Mean Girls. Simone and I spent the vast majority of the 8th grade speaking only in quotes from this movie.
  • Growing Pains. I wanted to be a Seaver so freaking bad.
  • Spring Awakening. And of course, Jonathan and Lea. They are perfect in every way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPftGuOAIuI BABY ANGELS!
  • Christmas. It's all my dad's fault. We're Christmas crazy.
  • Ashton Kutcher. His domination of my bedroom walls in middle school still embarrasses me.
  • Diet Coke. This a a McGeer thing. can't live without it.
  • Grey's Anatomy. I was so invested in this show, but I've since given up on it. Sad.
  • Lin Manuel Miranda. He's perfect.
  • vlogbrothers. check this out; better your life. http://www.youtube.com/vlogbrothers
  • crayola crayons. I still really love these, but I'm a big creep so I really really prefer to not use them. Yes, I mean that I like to buy crayons and just have the box around looking pretty and lovely. crreeeep
  • The Kennedy Family. They just fascinate me.
  • The Great Gatsby. Jay Gatsby. My one true literary love. This book breaks my heart and then puts it back together again with its beauty. I love it, I love it. Fitzgerald is a God.
  • Sex and the City. Oh, Carrie Bradshaw, how dear you are to my heart.
  • New York City. Favorite place on earth, future home.
  • The Office. pure brilliance.
  • The 313. I love my babies.
  • Tights. I love tights, textured, patterned, solids, different colors, different thicknesses, thigh highs....you name it, I like it.
  • Mr. Drohan. My 7th grade history teacher, and the object of my stalkeresque affection.
  • Smart, funny, awesome women. Especially Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling.


so, basically I'm a freak.

listfully yours.
xo tess

No comments:

Post a Comment