Tuesday, November 24, 2009

a list of reasons why I love John Mayer so much

Because of a conversation I just had with Melissa and because I am a creep, this is necessary.

  • His music reaches me on a completely different level emotionally than anything else, and always has. I feel like I completely understand the feelings that inspired him to write each song because they come through so clearly.
  • He is the most technically skilled guitar player of his generation. I say that with no knowledge or authority on guitar playing other than I listen to lots of music and I think he's the best. so there.
  • He is a college drop out who made it big at exactly what he was (pointlessly) going to college for. I like.
  • His albums have an old school vibe in that they all of the songs on each record flow together and are clearly meant for one continuous listening experience. Room for Squares is kinda like almostcheesilycute retro pop rock, then Heavier Things comes in with a moodier, literally "heavier" alt rock kinda flow to it. Continuum was all bluesy, smooth and jazzy. And now Battle Studies has a classic rock sound with this dramatic theme, a war metaphor flowing through almost every track beautifully. I'm rambling but I really love this about his music.
  • He writes all of his words and music. I love that.
  • He was a loser in high school. Join the club, bud. Aw. Aw. Awww.
  • He's a New Englander.
  • He is damn funny. And the biggest smart ass ever. I dig it.
  • His live performances. If you haven't seen one please do yourself a favor and get tickets to the Battle Studies tour. So good. So so so good.
  • Because he just wants to know what happened to his lunchbox, goddamnit! And that's precious.
  • Because of John Mayer Has a TV Show : part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXUi93hbPq8 part two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJ1DV6Unro&feature=related
  • I write better essays when I listen to John as a write them, I swear.
  • He has been such an integral part of my adolescence. I spent hours laying on the floor of my old bedroom listening to Room for Squares when I was ten years old, and I've been listening ever since. The first time I saw John live was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life, and the memory of that excitement will stay with me forever.
  • He writes lyrics like these, "I can't wait to figure out what's wrong with me so I can say this is the way that I used to be."
  • And this : "I don't think I'm gonna go to L.A. anymore. I get lost on the boulevard at night. Without your voice to tell me, "I love you, take a right," the ten and the two is the loneliest sight."
  • And this: "Had a talk with my old man, said help me understand. He said turn 68, you'll renegotiate. Don't stop this train, don't for a minute change the place you're in. And don't think I couldn't ever understand, I've tried my hand. John, honestly, you'll never stop this train."
  • Because his of "Comfortable." Words can not describe how much I love this song so please look it up right now.
  • His hair is lovely. Yes, that is really one of my reasons.
  • He's 6'3". I have a well known affinity for people who are taller than me.
  • His tweets blow up my phone on a pretty constant basis and it makes me way too happy.
  • Because of tweets like this: http://twitter.com/johncmayer/status/3532060322

I am wildly in love with this man. It's embarrassing.

listfully yours.

xo tess

No comments:

Post a Comment