Monday, January 25, 2010

a list of my favorite fictional couples/could be couples

I'm really silly and girly and obnoxious, and I watch too many movies, read too many books, and watch too much TV, all of which I am far too emotionally invested in. All of that being said, it's easy to understand why I am a HUGE shipper. I get embarrassingly sucked in by a cute fictional couple, and these are my favorites. This might, and by might I really mean will, be a grotesquely long list.

* Jack and Rose. Number one. I don't even care if that's cheesy. I have probably never been so truly and honestly moved by anything as I am by this romance. I've been obsessed with them since I was six years old, for god's sake. The spitting lessons, the flying scene, dancing in steerage, the car scene (obviously), the drawing scene, and basically any time they look at eachother throughout the last hour or so of the movie fills my heart up more than any other fictional pair ever has, and then tears it apart more painfully. I can't explain my attraction to this movie, or to this pair, but it's incredibly strong. That's silly, I know, but I can't help it. No matter how many times I watch the movie (and I have watched it A LOT) I still sob til I feel sick from about the moment they hit the iceberg, just at the thought of this beautiful, perfect, and magical love getting destroyed. God, I'm ridiculous. Plus, Kate and Leo are the most gorgeous and fantastic creatures I've ever laid eyes on, and I personally have always wanted them to be together in real life. Does anyone else feel that way? I adore them. I adore Jack and Rose. I'm getting teary just thinking about this now...probably going to have to pop in the movie as soon as I have the three hours to commit to it. Great.
* Ross and Rachel. This is a given. Everyone knows about these two, even if they've never seen an episode of Friends (blasphemy!) They're the model of the up and down will they won't they TV couple that every pair to follow is, and always will be, compared to. And they're just damn cute.
* Ron and Hermione. They are perfect for each other and don't you dare try to argue otherwise with me. Jo has spoken, H/H shippers. It never ever ever ever ever ever ever would have happened in a millions years. It's always been Ron and Hermione. Let it go, move on with your lives.
* Han Solo and Princess Leia. Oh. My. Gosh. That's all I can even manage to say about this. Actually no, I can also say that Han Solo is still the dreamiest man I have ever laid eyes on.
* Luke and Lorelai. Come on, any Gilmore Girls fan was waiting around for this to happen since the first of many banters across the counter of Luke's diner in the series premiere. While I will admit that I ADORED Max Medina, and, personally, would probably have chosen him for myself, it was always about LukeLukeLukeLukeLuke for our girl.
* Seth and Summer. One of my very favorites. They were just sooooo perfect for each other. The OC was great when it premiered, and while I will be the first to admit that it went down hill fast, and when it started rolling, it crashed at topspeed, but STILL, these two were adorable and lovely right up until their wedding in the very last episode.
* Marcus and Jessica. If you haven't read the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty, GO RIGHT NOW and get Sloppy Firsts. Read it, then come back and we'll chat :)
* Jim and Pam. There's nothing to say. <3
* Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan. I adore plenty of literary pairings that are perhaps more likeable, or more deserving, but I just love everything about these two. I know that they're selfish and reckless, and that by rooting for them I am essentially rooting for lying and infidelity, but I absolutely do not care. Everything about the love affair these two characters share is beautiful and heartbreaking, and leaves me aching for more. Please, please, read The Great Gatsby if you somehow have not. Your life is little darker for not having the beauty of Fitzgerald's creation in your life. Really.
* Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler. I'm a Gone With the Wind freak, in love with both the book and the film. The book is wonderful, but quite a hefty undertaking. While the movie isn't exactly any breeze either, at over three hours, it's stellar and passionate and romantic and I highly, highly recommend it to anyone. Especially anyone with a flair for melodrama, period pieces, and the South (me, me me!!) Also, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh are incredibly beautiful throughout.
* Rachel Berry and a great guy. I'm not quite sure who I want Rachel to be with at this point, but I would very much like to see her with an awesome boyfriend. She could really use that, I think.
* Carrie Bradshaw and Mr. Big. Realistically speaking, these two are actually a REALLY terrible couple. Big is an asshole. He doesn't treat Carrie in a way that anyone should put up with, let alone a fabulous New York girl who writes a sex column for a living and is very clearly portrayed as an independent, suave, city gal. Don't get me wrong, I lovelovelovelovelove Carrie. She's one of my very favorite TV characters of all time. I'd like to BE Carrie Bradshaw. And, of course, Mr. Big is a complete dreamboat. And they're lovely together when things are going well. And they have spark and fire...but, in reality, Big would never really change into what Carrie needs him to be, and therefore the happily ever after ending (or until the movies...) that the duo finally gets (IN PARIS OF ALL PLACES ! <3) in the series finale is a little ridiculous. That doesn't mean that I wasn't praying for it, or that I don't fall all over myself giddily every single time that I see it. I LOVE Carrie and Big together, but this is one of the couples where you really, really have to just accept the complete disconnect from reality. Do that, and they're sensational.
* Joey Potter and Pacey Witter. Don't give me any of this Joey and Dawson crap. These two were lovely and real together and, quite frankly, the best parts of Dawson's Creek were almost always the one's the had the least to do with the whiny title character, and this couple is just one example.
* Jack Donaghy and Liz Lemon. Okay, they don't belong on this list at all...but I'm kind of interested in seeing something happen here? BUT I'M NOT SURE! Eeeeek! The idea is appealing to me but also makes me pretty nervous. Give it a shot for my sake, Tina?
* Heathcliff and Clair Huxtable. SUCH lovely TV parents. SUCH a beautiful marriage. Ugh. I can't even put my love for these two, their entire family, and just The Cosby show in general into proper sentences. Adopt meee?
* Jason Seaver and Molly Malone. On the trend of TV parents, the Growing Pains 'rents are another of my very favorites. They were great parents, and yet very clearly a couple first. Lovelovelove. Plus, this show was clever, and charming, and cheeky, and cute. The Seavers are awesome. And little baby Leo DiCaprio was in it! <3
* Walter Burns and Hildy Johnson. Go watch His Girl Friday right now. Oh my god. I want that in my life.
* Elizabeth Bennett and Fitzwilliam Darcy. A necessary inclusion on any favorite couple list, clearly. They're sensational in the book, but my very favorite incarnation of Liz and Darcy is in the BBC mini series starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Perfection.
* Emma Woodhouse and George Knightley. On the Jane Austen note, they're another one of my favorites.
* Bones and Booth!! BONES AND BOOTH!!! <3
* Annie and Alvy. Annie Hall not even my favorite Woody Allen film, not by miles, yet still, you haven't really lived if you haven't seen it.
* Sarah and Derek. SAVED THE LAST DANCE OWNS MY HEARTTTT. that statement is slightly hyperbolic, but still. lovelovelove
* Katie and Hubbell. The Way We Were will get me every single time. EVERY time.
* Harry and Sally. Another beautiful movie romance :)
* Dwight and Angela. Obviously Jim and Pam own the title for best romance on The office, but I love Dwight and Angela almost as much because for all their weirdness, and there's A LOT, they do really love each other. Plus, they're the two creepiest people, they belong together.
* Melanie and Jack. In the sweet romantic comedy One Fine Day, George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer are absolute perfection. My one complaint is that the movie doesn't go on for another several hours so that I can coo over their sweetness.
* Belle and the Beast. <333333333 My first favorite romance.
* Mia Thermopolis and Michael Moscovitz. My one complaint with the wonderful, wonderful film adaptations of The Princess Diaries is that they didn't go anywhere with the Mike and Mia relationship :( But in the books, they're magical!! Michael is one of my biggest literary crushes to this day, and they're one of the most adorable couples! Plus to have Robert Schwartzman and Anne Hathaway playing the characters and to STILL not have them really get together, is a tragedy.
* House and Cameron. They're on of my should-be-together ships. They have never actually been a couple in any way (and the way things are going right now, probably never will be :( ) but I still love them, and I'm still pulling for it. If you watch the show you are probably either strongly House & Cameron or strongly House & Cuddy. Personally, House and Cuddy makes me want to projectile vomit a bit. Cameron is my favoritefavoritefavorite, and she and House would be so good for one another and so, so HOT. But I'm really not thrilled with the way this show is going lately so I really don't want to talk about it anymore, or I can guarantee this will turn into an angry anti-David Shore's stupid decisions rant.
* Catherine and Heathcliff. Wuthering Heights has recently become one of my favorite books. So, so, gothically beautiful.
* Pudge and Alaska in John Green's amazing novel Looking for Alaska. They were never exactly a couple but GOD did I want them to be <3
* Nathan and Haley. I haven't watch an episode of One Tree Hill in ages, and the fact that they got married in high school after like three months of dating essentially so that they could have sex without breaking Haley's no sex before marriage rule is completely ridiculous, but they're still super, super, super precious.
* Chuck and Blair!!! They're just fabulous, and dark, and devious, and sexy, and wonderful, and strangely sweet. I know that on a show like Gossip Girl all of this lovin' can't last, but I'll be eating it up with a spoon while it does.
* Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon on Weekend Update. Okay, I know they're not really a fictional couple AT ALL, but I have always been obsessed with SNL and Weekend Update in particular, and these two were my favorite anchors. For some reason, I always imagined them as a couple...and okay, I was like middle school aged so I'm not embarrassed to admit that maybe...well... I mean, maybe I..I... I wrote some Tina/Jimmy fan fiction. It wasn't about the real Tina and Jimmy but about their characters from Weekend Update. I have the distinct feeling that I will one day regret letting this piece of information out in the universe. Oh well...

on that note, I think this list is over. I'm missing a ton, but I'm tired, so this will do


In unrelated news, I am having a real Liz Lemon sort of day. I'm just a regular ol' mess, from FALLING OUT OF BED THIS MORNING (what am I, 3?), to very nearly spilling my scalding hot coffee all across the table in my math class, almost falling in a pile of spilled ketchup (EW!!), to losing a shoe in the middle of a busy walkway in the pouring rain...I'm doing well. Oh well, I just have to get through one more class, survive the super insanely intense spinning class because otherwise I'll spend the whole night feeling fat and gross, and curl up in bed for the new episode of House. It's so rainy out, and it's making me terribly agoraphobic. If I could stay in this room for the rest of the day I happily would.

My nails are painted a pretty bright purple today, and I'm loving it.
listfully yours,
xotess

No comments:

Post a Comment