Sunday, November 21, 2010

a list of films I want to see

I hope everyone had a glorious Sunday. I did not.
These are movies that I am interested in seeing because I need the cinema as an escape from my terrible existence. Or not. But I do really want to see the following films.
  •  Love and Other Drugs. Annie! Jake! A TragiDramaRomCom. Yes. Yes. Give it to me. These two with their puppy-dog eyes, their unfailingly affable charm, and their wholesome good looks, are a match made in Hollywood romance heaven. I'm sure I'll be drooling.
  • The King's Speech. Colin Firth, my angel. I'm thrilled beyond words that he has been having such a great stretch recently, what with his fantastic turn in the breathtaking A Single Man last year, and now with lots of Oscar Buzz for The King's Speech. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a sucker for a good period piece, with Colin and Helena Bonham Carter in the starring roles it's difficult to imagine that I won't like this film.
  • Tangled. I don't miss an animated Disney movie. Ever.
  • Blue Valentine. If you're not interested in seeing this gritty indie romance starring Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling you may as well just turn your hipster card in right now. But fo'realz, this looks really good.
  • Burlesque. Cher! Christina! Stanley Tucci! JAZZ! Everything about this has my little secretly-sequined heart fluttering.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I was always a very literary-minded child, but I could never get through an entire Narnia book. They bored me. The films, however, are frothy fun. They have a very Christmasy feeling to me, and they're never exactly good, but they are overwhelmingly pleasant to watch. Plus, the boy who plays Edmund has grown up to be FIIIINE.
  • I Love You Phillip Morris. Um, Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor as star-crossed lovers? Where do I sign up?
  • Black Swan. I am a girl who was more or less thrown out of her dance school at age eleven because she was termed a hopeless klutz but who will swallow whole any film about ballet. Especially one that stars the otherworldly flawless Natalie Portman.
  • The Green Hornet. SETH ROGEN AS A SUPER HERO, GIMME GIMME GIMME.
  • From Prada to Nada. Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility gets a modern day Los Angeles treatment with the girl from Spy Kids as the Marianne Dashwood (I guess.) I will see this because I am a glutton for punishment, I make a point of seeing any film that claims any connection to Austen, and then I lose my mind complaining over it.
  • How Do I Know. I don't expect this romantic-comedy to be anything more than mediocre, but Paul Rudd and Reese Witherspoon both have enough inherent likability to pull me into the theater on their own, so together they have a pull of adorableness that I am powerless to resist.
  • Never Let Me Go. This film has been out for awhile now but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet, which is a shame because I enjoy fangirling over all three of it's beautiful British leads (Keira Knightley, Andrew Garfield, and Carey Mulligan.)
  • 127 Hours. Because James Franco is going to cut his arm off in this movie. To pretend you want to see this for anything other than arm cutting scene would be the biggest load of pretentious bullshit I've ever heard*

Listfully yours,
xo tess

PS: Jill Scribbles is having a contest to give away one ARC (advanced reader's copy) of Megan McCafferty's (author of the completely fantastic Jessica Darling series) upcoming novel Bumped, and as much as I want to keep the contest a secret so that my chances of winning will be greater...it also seems wrong not to share this opportunity with any fellow Megan fans out there. You have until tomorrow to enter, follow the above link for more details!

*also, man oh man do I wanna bone James Franco. Ay papi.

No comments:

Post a Comment