Wednesday, May 19, 2010

a list of my favorite Glee performances (as of yet!)

I'm a Gleek. Here we go, my favorite performances, in no particular order because, trust me, compiling this list was difficult enough.

  • I Dreamed A Dream. I can't even put into words how perfect and beautiful this was. Vocally flawless, visually gorgeous. And it was friggen IDINA MENZEL! SINGING ON NATIONAL TELEVISION! with her second coming, Lea Michele at her side. Nothing compares to that. Nothing. Lea and Idina doing Les Miz...nope, I'm still not over it.
  • Run Joey Run. Quite possibly the campiest shit I have ever seen in my life and, dear god, did I eat it right up. (tip: It really gets better and better with each subsequent viewing.) Also, Lea was hysterical in this sequence, bbygurrl wants that Emmy nomination! (I hope she gets it.)
  • Don't Rain On My Parade. Breathtaking. Can we just consider this Lea's audition to play my beloved Fanny Brice in a Funny Girl revival? And can we agree that she's got it locked up?
  • Don't Stand So Close to Me/Young Girl. Ohhhh Matt Morrison. Emma and Rachel's giddy, girly reactions to Mr. Shue's performance pretty much mimicked the one I was having as I watched at home. He's so dreamy.
  • Somebody to Love. This was just a glorious direction. I really love the group numbers because I'm just a big sap and I think all the kids singing together is super cute. Plus Finn's falsetto on the opening. Ahhhhhh
  • Keep Holding On. The group banding together to support Quinn. It's just really sweet. Also I never liked the original version of this song (avril!) yet this one is still on heavy rotation on my ipod. The power of Glee.
  • And I am Telling You I'm not Going. It was inevitable that they would have Mercedes sing this, but Amber completely killed it, so who cares if it's cliche.
  • Rose's Turn. Oh. My. God. I very nearly peed my pants when this started. Gypsy is part of my heart and soul and Kurt is perfect and Chris's voice has never sounded stronger or better, and everything about this performance was outstanding. Oh, the high kicks!!
  • My Life Would Suck Without You. Vocally, this was actually one of their worst performances. The voices sound very canned and almost kidz bop-y, but the sheer adorableness and camaraderie of the performance made it one of my favorites. I mean come on guys, they prepared that song just for Mr. Shue! That's all kinds of precious. Plus the revisiting of all their best past dance moves was excellent.
  • Gives You Hell. Rachel's complete lack of subtlety is delicious. Plus my sister and I have rewound this performance about a hundred times just to watch this priceless little stomp dance thing that Lea does at one point, and I seriously suggest that you do the same.
  • TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART. This one gets capitalized because it will be on repeat (with visuals) in my mind for probably the entire rest of my existence. Jon and Lea doing ballet on TV. I don't even know how to explain how perfect that is.
  • Hello. Groff is perfect. He and Lea should always sing together, forever. The end.
  • Maybe This Time. Simply beautiful, everything about it. Even Cheno's show off note at the end.
  • Defying Gravity. Not only did this one sound gorgeous, but the meaning that this song has for both characters is obvious and heartbreaking, and I think Lea and Chris both brought that through beautifully.
  • Jump. Basically, it just made me happy.
  • Don't Stop Believin'. Of course not list of best Glee performances would be complete without including this one. I still vidivdly recall how blown away and excited I was after seeing this in the pilot that aired last May, and how many times I listened to it over the summer in eager anticipation of the episodes to come, and, proving how great it is, it has yet to get old. This is just a really heart warmer. Glee is so cheesy and campy but there is such a sweetness and pure joy and positivity radiating throughout it. Ugh. Love!

honorable mentions: Kurt's audition Mr. Cellophane, Puck's rendition of Sweet Caroline, Rachel's On My Own which would be on the list except that I've heard Lea sing it much better (which is really saying somethiing because the Glee recording is beautiful. God is that girl talented,) and the entire Madonna episode because the whole thing just felt like one big cone bra-ed, faux British accented, Madge-ified performance, and I loved it all.

listfully yours,
xoxo tess

No comments:

Post a Comment